Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Squares
If you’re a rice crispy square lover you know that they are traditionally made using marshmallows. While this may seem harmless, have you ever read the ingredients on the back of a package of marshmallows? Marshmallows can be filled with tons of unhealthy ingredients. Things like corn syrup, sugar, cornstarch, artificial flavour, artificial colour and even whipping aids like tetrasodium pyrophosphate. They typically also contain gelatin which is not vegan-friendly.
In this healthier version I ditch the marshmallows and use brown rice syrup instead. Organic brown rice syrup contains just two ingredients: organic brown rice and pure filtered water. Now, just to be clear, it is still a form of sugar (even if it’s a less processed form) so use it in moderation. What makes brown rice syrup work so well in this recipe is that it is super sticky so it helps to bind the puffed rice the way melted marshmallows would. I use peanut butter in this recipe but feel free to swap it out for your favourite nut butter. Almond, hazelnut or cashew would work really well. If you’re nut-free, sunflower seed butter also works!
The melted dark chocolate on top adds a beautiful layer that pairs so well with the peanut butter. I swap white puffed rice for brown puffed rice which also helps to add more fibre to the recipe. These squares are SO SO SO SO good. Ooey, gooey, sticky, chocolatey with a hint of sea salt and filled with crunch. You’ll love them!
Dairy-free, Gluten-free, Refined Sugar-free, Vegan
Yield: 8×8 pan (9 squares)
- 3/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup organic peanut butter
- large pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups puffed brown rice cereal
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Line an 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, warm brown rice syrup, peanut butter, vanilla extract and sea salt. Stir occasionally until fully melted and combined.
- Place brown rice cereal in a large bowl and pour the warm peanut butter mixture on top. Mix with spatula until fully combined and sticky. Transfer to baking dish and press down into one even layer using the back of a spatula.
- Place chocolate chips over double boiler and melt. Pour melted chocolate over brown rice crispy bars. Smooth with spatula.
- Place in freezer to set Set for 20-30 mins or until chocolate is solid.
- Remove, cut into squares and serve. Enjoy! Store extras (if there are any) in fridge.
The Hearty Soul